So here I was with my lovely son. For the first month, there was not much activities from his side. All he did was cry. Cry if he is hungry or cry if he is sleepy or cry if his nappy is wet. Obviously, what else should I expect. My timetable was according to his. Only when he permits, I could take rest. But this didn’t bother me much, as I had my Mom and one aunt to help me out. At that time, even my mom was not that well. She had breast cancer, and was taking chemos.Her next chemo was that week. And after the chemo, she’s so week, that she cant even get up from the bed, is always feeling like vomiting and doesn’t feel hungry. She was admitted on Sat, took her chemo, and actually she is supposed to stay under observation at the hospital for one more day. But the baby’s thought, and that since it was Sunday, everyone from the church will come to see the baby, she came off on Sunday early morning itself. Many people came with gifts to see the baby. It was nice.
But everything was not going smoothly at my native. In our tradition, the girl has her first delivery at her mothers place. And only after 56 days, she goes back to live with her hubby. But I was not sure that I could wait for that long. Because, my Father-in-law was bed ridden, due to cancer. And he was in a little serious condition. My husband “Shibu,” is the only son in the family. And the only son, having a son was a very important thing. And I knew how much my Father-in-law and Mother-in-law wanted to see the baby. So I even asked Fil, if we should come down before the 56th day. But he wanted me to recover completely and then come.
Even though I knew that Fil was very serious, I was hoping that he will be able to see the baby. But tragedy struck us, and he expired on the 15th of march, 25 days after my baby was born. It was a very sad moment. I and baby went to kerala with my mom for the funeral. Everyone was devastated. It hurts even now to think abt that days event. The only consolation was that at least he was able to see videos of the baby.
The 28th day after the baby is born, we have a small function. On that day, the Godfather or in our case the father of the baby, ties a black thread, and a golden chain around the baby’s waist. We just had a small get-to-gather and finished the ritual.
Some days after the funeral, Shibu went back to work. All relative went back home. It was just me, my baby and Mil. The house was very silent. But we carried on. Shibu tried to come to the native, every other weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment